Tuesday, November 29, 2005

They told me to tell her that he was wrong

I'm just going to say it: I hate pronouns.

Ok, maybe I don't hate prounouns as a whole, I just hate when they are misused. If you have not already identified the noun, it is NOT ok to use a pronoun. I am inundated with this at work and it drives me up the freaking wall. "She told me to tell you he can't fix that." Who is "she"? Who is "he"? What is "that"?! Must stop twitching... ARGH!!

I think my all-time most-hated misuse is "they." The front office coordinator is constantly telling clients that "they" make the rules and "they" decided on refunds. Who is "they"? "Corporate" is her response. Who at corporate? "Someone." Surely they must have a name or perhaps an extension where I can reach "them."

Make. it. stop.

/rant

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I happen to like pronouns...