Friday, October 27, 2006

Dear...

Stupid Yankee New Yorker Bitch in My Childbirth Class:

You're right, my child is not going to love me more because I choose not to have an epidural during labor and delivery. Little Bit will have no idea what that even means for many, many years to come nor will she understand the amount of energy, effort, and love that is put into making a birth plan for a pending delivery until she has children of her own, if she so chooses. In fact, by the time LB can understand all of that, she and I will have formed a bond that will be totally independent of whether or not I had an epidural. That relationship will be formed and based on the choices that I make as a parent, not the least of which will include decisions made for my family regarding their health and well being.

If your decision to have an epidural is because it's "available and why not" and is in no way based on any thorough research and long discussions with your spouse, then you are the fool and not I. My health and the health of my baby will not be subject to societal whims simply because "everyone else is doing it." This pregnancy has been difficult enough already (what with almost losing the daddy, heart complications, and random bleeding just to name a few) and if there is one thing I've learned, it's that you have to arm yourself with as much information as possible and try to make the best choice possible for you, if not the most informed. I am in no way opposed to an epidural - it is a great option for many women, it just isn't the best option for me.

And yes, your accent is fucking annoying.

Hugs and kisses,

greeneyes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, someone actually got snippy with you because you're choosing NOT to have an epidural?! Clearly someone has too much time on her hands.

I didn't have one either. Decided that right in the beginning and made it quite clear on my birthplan and to my midwife (who was incredibly awesome).

I'm just can't believe that woman in your class! /boggle

Anonymous said...

Actually, she isn't right.

Love is a verb, something you do and show through empathizing, appreciating, listening, and in this case sacrificing. You are sacrificing comfort for your daughter, and while she may not directly benefit from it, you are starting a good habit right from the beginning of her life that she will benefit from forever.

By you loving her, she will feel loved... and therefore she will learn to love. And who else is she going to love more than her parents (at least for the first and most critical stage in her life)? No one. :-)

Betty Crocker said...

Is she a first-time Mom? Sounds like it with her judgement.

That is probably one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. My Mom had a c-section and i can promise you, I still love her a lot.

Sheesh.